The Russell Heritage Festival on September 11 saw two new plaques erected as part of the Historical Plaque program to commemorate historic locations within the township. The program commemorates buildings, properties, and people with historical significance to the Township, which fosters an interest in the community’s history and roots.
The plaque commemorating the site of the old Russell Train Station can be found at the north end parking lot on 1st Avenue in Russell. The plaque commemorating the Russell Shale Brick Company is found approximately 300 meters east of Eadie Road, Russell. Each plaque features a historical photo and bilingual text describing the historical significance of each site, and both sit along the New York Recreational Trail, which marks the route once taken by a railway linking Ottawa and New York City.
The railway ferried passengers and cargo between Ottawa and New York from 1898 to 1957, and in 1979, the municipality purchased the route and converted it into a 10km long recreational trail linking the villages of Embrun and Russell.