As the latest addition to the Historical Plaque Program, Russell Township has unveiled the first plaque to be in the town of Marionville. The plaque recognizes Sainte Thérèse d’Avila Church, which was built over 100 years ago by brothers Isaïe, Urgel, Séraphin and Ludger Marion when they founded their new community. The church was built in 1904 with much effort from the brothers and other members of the community, and the village was subsequently named after the Marion family.
The plaque commemorates the first milestone in the development of the village of Marionville, which has continued to grow rapidly in the near-century since its founding. Speakers included Mayor Pierre Leroux and François Marion, President of the Marionville Citizens Committee.
The Historical Plaque Program now has 13 plaques to visit across the municipality, with more planned for next year. Each plaque describes the site’s historical significance in English and French, as well as a historical photo. Suggestions for future plaques may be submitted to email@example.com.